to Provide Support to the European
Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis Community
Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis (PSC) is a rare disease of the bile ducts, involving an inflammation of the bile ducts (due to unknown causes).The scar tissue as a result of this inflammation narrows the bile ducts, as a result of which bile might flow back to the liver. At that point, bile is toxic and can destroy the liver. As yet, there exists no medication that can cure PSC. The primary symptoms of PSC are, among others, (debilitating) fatigue, pruritus (intense itching) and jaundice. As a result, the patient’s quality of life is often low. The estimated median survival rate from diagnosis until liver transplantation or PSC-related death is currently 21 years.
- We are a pan-European patient driven organisation, 100% volunteer-based, and we are working together with various national organisations related to PSC, based in, amongst others, Austria, Belgium, Italy, Finland, Germany, Lithuania, Macedonia, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden and the Netherlands.
- Our goals include initiating the various PSC stakeholders to work together closely and form a strong liaison. Education, information resource, support, patient advacacy, research and fundraising for people affected by PSC are a few areas we will cover. In all our activities, we try & incorporate the ‘peadiatric aspect‘, as we are convinced it is necessary for all stakeholders to realise our children can not be overlooked.
- We are strong believers that there should be a lay version of every scientific and medical article and report related to PSC available in open source and in as many European languages as possible. We state ‘The lay version is the ultimate completion of the scientific article’. So far, the feedback from the doctors and researchers has been great and PSC Patients Europe has been approached by researchers, doctors and the industry to work on the lay versions and to set criteria to do so. We feel privileged to be able to share our knowledge and experience with others on a national and international level. This also includes sharing patient expertise to e.g. other patient organisations and on an EU level.
- PSC Patients Europe wants to provide support to all affected by Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis (PSC). By creating ‘mass‘, we believe it is easier to create a good rapport (win-win) with the many other PSC stakeholders, such as researchers, doctors, policy makers etc.. We work closely together with researchers, not only to get the patient perspective embedded in their activities, but also to collaborate to enhance their chances in getting grants and funding.
- We encourage our volunteers to make a difference. It is of the utmost importance for us to create a safe & inspiring environment, where PSCers and non-PSCers can use their talents to advance in life and simultaneously make a difference in the lives of many others worldwide. We encourage every patient and every other stakeholder to be a part of the solution!
All information on this website is meant complimentary and not to replace any advice or information from a health care provider.
This website is intended to give and disseminate information about PSC and PSC-related topics to PSC patients, their care-givers, family & friends, HCPs and all others who are interested.
A donor, who wishes to remain anonymous, has generously donated this website.
PSCPE: TO BE PART OF THE SOLUTION
Website PSCPE van Marleen M. Kaatee is in licentie gegeven volgens een Creative Commons Naamsvermelding-NietCommercieel-GeenAfgeleideWerken 4.0 Internationaal-licentie.
Gebaseerd op een werk op www.pscpatientseurope.org.
Toestemming met betrekking tot rechten die niet onder deze licentie vallen zijn beschikbaar via www.pscpatientseurope.org.
Getting ready for 2018
At PSC Patients Europe we celebrate our 3rd anniversary this month and I hope we can continue to support the PSC Community by you supporting us.
The foundation is 100% driven by volunteers and doesn’t receive any structural grants. And yes, I enjoy every minute of it. And we do keep the fixed costs as low as possible, but I’m sure you understand it all adds up. Getting funding for projects is often not a huge problem, but getting the fixed costs covered is a much harder task..
As to wrap-up our 2017 activities and having a fresh start with our activities in 2018, my goal is to raise € 8000.
You can use iDEAL or donate via creditcard.
Funding Goal: €5,000.00
Funded percent: 6.40 %
Running for PSC
Since I started changing my diet to glutenfree and dairyfree in autumn 2015, my energylevel slowly increased. This made it possible to work on my physical condition and after trying several activities I started running. Quite a challenge for me as PSC-patient, even more challenging with my total knee replacement.
Funding Goal: €1,000.00
Funded percent: 2.00 %
220 days remaining
Familie Renes Hovius
Zoals de meesten van jullie weten heeft onze zoon Lenny Primaire Scleroserende Cholangitis (PSC, een zeldzame leverziekte waar nog geen geneesmiddel voor is), AIH en CU. PSC Patients Europe is een patiënten organisatie die bestaat uit 100% vrijwilligers. Ze hebben … Read More
Funding Goal: €2,018.00